Saturday, April 28, 2007

Saturday morning stuff

Sorry I haven't posted in a couple of days. My son has been in the hospital with a bad virus (personally, I think he got sick of watching Pedro Feliz swing the bat), but he's back home now and I can get back to talking Giants.

First of all, that was an impressive sweep of LA. And who would have thought Armando Benitez could start the season 7 for 7 in save opportunities? He isn't exactly "dominating" (and his demeanor on the mound is really pissing me off), but he's getting the job done, which is better than you could say last last two years.

About last night: Ray Durham forgot to show up. Durham left 8 runners stranded in the game. Wow. Bonds was walked three times intentionally and Durham couldn't do anything with it. Tough game for the second baseman.

The Barry Zito Four Run Rule struck again last night. Zito is 1-2 this year when the Giants fail to score 4 runs for him. Don't get me wrong, I think Zito is a terrific pitcher. But if you score 4 runs for him, you will not lose.


The Giants throw their ace tonight: Matt Cain goes against Edgar Gonzalez in Arizona.

1 comment:

OZ said...

They didn't get the breaks last night. Luck is huge in a game like that. Winn's ball stays fair and he gets the cycle out of it and that was a whole different game. Durham doesn't pull his monster shot quite as much and that ball would have been waaaay gone.

I think Ray has been playing above his ability. His defense has been unbelievable, literally, and his batting as been more consistent than ever in his career, but I think his protection of Bonds is fleeting at best, as seen last night. I'm actually surprised Benji didn't do better as he has been clutch all year and I've been hoping he would meld into the protection role.